This will explain how to buy a new (or used) key fob and program the remote to the car.
It is worth mentioning that programming the immobilizer is not really a thing you can do you self unless you have all the required codes which you properly don’t have do to the way VW manages these now a days.
Before you go on to ebay or else where to find a new key there is a few tings that you need to know. Two numbers must match the key you are searching for, that being:
- Remote part number.
This number indicated what frequency the key uses e.g:
- HLO 1K0 959 753 A – 434MHz for mobel PR-5D1
- HLO 1K0 959 753 B – 315MHz for model “J..”: PR-5D3
- HLO 1K0 959 753 C – 315MHz for model “ROK”: 5D5
- HLO 1K0 959 753 D – 315MHz
- HLO 1K0 959 753 G – 434MHz
- The type of immobilizer
This is a number similar to: 5FA 009 263-10
This is only a guide to program the remote control part of the key e.g the part with the 3 buttons (on the right below) – NOT the immobilizer with the metal key (on the left).
VW Generic Programming of Remote Controls
- Place your first key into the ignition and turn to the second notch (do not start the car)
- Now close the door and place your second key into the handle lock
- Turn the key to the lock position and let it spring back to the central position.
- Hold down the Lock button on your new remote, you may hear a bleep from the car
- Now unlock the car using the key in the barrel and remove, then take your first key out of the ignition
- Close the door
- Your remote should now be coded
VCDS Procedure for matching radio-frequency remote controls
The VCDS matching guide is available here.
However this guide didnt quite work for me. I just wanted to add a single new (already used for another car, which type is not known to me other than it was a VW) key to the car but the procedure shown below didn’t allow me to save a 2 in the new value. If I pressed Test it will then just come back and allow me to Test again and not Save. So I had to save 0 in channel 0 to reset it. This deleted all FOBs associated with the car and enabled me to start over and save 2 as the new value indicating two new keys. VCDS
- Place the key to program in the ignition and turn it (do not start the engine)
- [46 – Cent. Conv.]
- [Adaption – 10]
- Read channel 1
- Change the Test Value to 1 (The guide says it should be the number of keys but any value except one doesn’t work for me)
- Hold in UNLOCK on the key until confirmation (in my case by the turn lights)
- That’s it exit VCDS and turn of the car the remote should work now as well as your old one(s)
- [Adaption – 10]