This post will explain how to change the water pump attached to the Webasto aux heater on a VW Touran.
Determining if the water pump is broken
Before explaining how to get a new pump or replace it lets look at how to see if the pump is the one to blame for your cold car.
The heater should turn on if you start the car and the temperature is less then 11 degrees Celsius (<11) and the ECON light is off in the climate control. Beside when this is the case you should be able to heat a faint summing from the lower right of the bumper (thats the pump) , if you dont try to use VCDS to read out error codes, if you get something like this error your pump is most likely broken:
Address 18: Aux. Heat Labels: None Part No: 1K0 815 071 R Component: Zuheizer 050 2302 Revision: 00050000 Serial number: 09009839000000 Coding: 0000011 Shop #: WSC 01324 785 00200 VCID: 346C9F582EA0 1 Fault Found: 01415 - Recirculating Pump (V55) 010 - Open or Short to Plus Freeze Frame: Fault Status: 01101010 Fault Priority: 3 Fault Frequency: 2 Reset counter: 126 Mileage: 203208 km Time Indication: 0 Freeze Frame: OFF Temperature: 33.0°C Temperature: 70.0°C Voltage: 12.00 V
Future more see this post on testing the pump.
Where to buy a new pump
There is a number of options here:
- Go to your local VW dealer and pay a lot of money or..
- Look for a new pump with almost the same spare number but different output directions
The pump is actually now a VW manufactured pump but from Webasto and it happens to be the case the they only use a few different pumps where the pip outlets are different angled.
This means that you can go and search for a new pump with pare number: 7E0.965.561
- like this one: 12V WATER PUMP FOR WEBASTO EBERSPACHER WATER HEATER
New Water Pump dissambly
If you chose to buy a water pump that has a different angled outlet the outlet needs to be removed and replaced with the one already installed in the car, here are a few pictures:
(In my case I didn’t remove the pipes from the old pump outlet. I just unscrewed the screws and were a bit quick to remove the old pump and re-install the new one without loosing much cooling liquid)
The pump is different in its connection as the original one since it comes with a connector instead, here is a picture of the old pump wire:
The old wire can just be cut off and with advantage extended about 10 cm and attached to the connector for the new pump. If wired wrong the pump will not turn at all.
- black wire to pin 1
- brown wire to pin 2
The installation required the front bumper to be removed, which is quite easy and quick even though it should like a lot of work.
- Open the hood
- unscrew the 4 screws holding the plastic/metal part with the VW logo and the number plate
- pull it strait out
- now pull out the lower black plastic part covering the lower part of the cooler. But be care full now to damage your temperature sensor if you have one (right side just under the screw you tool out)
- new to the actual bumper
- each wheel box has 3 screws pointing forward into the bumper and 1 which goes up/backwards. They must all be removed
- then pull out the bumper to the right/left of the car such that it clips out of the guide
- under the front of the car there is a number of screws as well starting from the one attaching a plastic rod.
- if all screws are removed you should be able to un-clip the 4 clippers which is located under the first plate you removed. Gently push them down and the bumper should slide nicely forward and off.
- be careful not to damage the wires on the right side of the bumper and the springler pipe on the left
Assembly is in the opposite order.
You may wish to loosen the sprinkler tank to get more space releasing the pump wires.
Installing the new pump
The old pump is just loosened from its holder and pipes can be detached or the pump outlet can be unscrewed (the cooling liquid is quite lubricating so avoid too much of this on you hands and tools).
Before re-installing check the following
- Check the exhoust of the heater – the material should be non corroding but clearly not the case here:
The result after a new pump + exhaust and sprinkler o’rings:
You might want to unlock the heater, see this
And thanks to http://vw-touran.dk/Ny%20vandpumpe%20i%20tilskudsvarmer.html for the guide and idea about the cheaper pump.